Jul 30, 2013

Afraid of Aging? (Part I)

If you are afraid of ageing, then cease to exist!
Women these days are so worked-up over aging; they seem to worry about aging more than men do. A friend of mine has been 25 years old since 2006 up to present. A 30-year-old woman (whom I know personally) posted on her facebook page last week, during her birthday, that she, too, is 25. Hilarious, isn’t it? But it is serious, too.

Nowadays, most young women do not want to go past age 25. That’s the number they all want to be---and no more. Ask one of them this year and she will tell you she is 25. Ask her again next year, she is going to be ‘25’. Try again the following year and she will still be ‘25’. That’s where she wants to be and is determined to remain stuck there forever.

But for how long will anyone continue to do this to oneself? Why should someone remain this afraid of aging? 

This is what Sonnie, a used-clothes dealer, had to say to this: “It isn't really anyone’s business how much I weigh or how old I am. But guess what? In the social arena, I have started to notice that women in their early 40s (including myself) are starting to turn invisible in our contemporary Liberian society. No young man wants to be around me. I am only coming across middle-aged or older men. I see why many older women in our society, these days, prefer to be called ‘sweet 16’ and hate to be branded ‘old ma’ or ‘aunty’.”


Sonnie continued, “Look, sometimes, I am approached by a younger fellow but the moment I tell him I am 40, his mouth drops. And right there, I will notice an immediate shift of gear from ‘interested’ to ‘sorry, no interest old ma’. So now, I, too, appreciate being referred to as ‘sweet 16’. I tell people, especially men, who approach me that I am 25 or 27, my dear. I don’t want everyone running away from me just because of my age. In fact, I feel very offended when I am asked in the first place.”

You are afraid of losing your attractiveness and becoming "invisible"? Well, the thing is so simple. If you are this afraid of age, you might as well cease to exist, because the longer you stay on this earth, the more your age is going to add up. And  if you think you will always go on deceiving yourself (because you really are doing it to yourself) with your all-time fake ‘25s,’ then check again; because soon the wrinkles will be the ones to speak for you. They will be the ones to tell your age without seeking your permission. And don’t think you will always hide behind those anti-wrinkles or anti-aging cosmetics, because they, too, will, at some point, get so fed-up with your fake life, they will expose you big-time.

If you can afford it, go under the knife (cosmetic or plastic surgery) as many times as you want. But one thing remains for sure: no matter what happens, we will all age. So what’s the point? If you want to be ridiculous enough to believe that you will never age, well, then, cease to exist!

“When I revealed by age in the presence of my niece, who claims she is a hardcore feminist, she frowned and said:  ‘Oh, well….I mean, ladies do not reveal their age’. But you know what? I am who I am. Take it or leave it! What I am is 42. Why hide our natural evolution? I feel pity for those older women who continually dye their hair simply because they always desire to appear young,” Abigail told me in an interview.

In Ghana, the women there are fond of bringing down their ages because for them, there are different ages that suit different levels in life. They have high school ages, ranging between 12 - 17 or maybe 18. They have particular ages to suit their college days. And when it comes to marriage, they have particular ages for that.

So, now you know that what scares them most about aging is the fear of losing their looks. Growing old makes women unattractive, they say.

Why all this drama? No matter what, women age---and we are faster. If you think you will continue hiding it, the wrinkles on your face will surely tell how far you have reached.

17 comments:

  1. Are they afraid of hitting the biological clock which is said to be 35? I think the problem in the Liberian society is too many men are not ready for commitment compared to women who are ready to settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, on the other side of the coin, some ladies simply love to be fake about life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faliku K. Konneh, IIMarch 18, 2014 at 6:19 PM

    Probably it's due to the two kinds of aging: chronological aging and physiological aging. If one is a100-year-old (chronologically) and looks and feels like a 25-year-old (physiologically), why shouldn't they say they are 25? Some are 25 years old and look and feel like 100 years old; so, even if they tell you their real age, you will still have your doubt.

    Wishfully, we all could age gracefully! "Age is nothing but a number." Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly the point! Age is nothing but number. So, why the drama? You do have a point there, though. But honestly, some of us (women) are just too worked-up over this issue of age and here, I'm focusing more on the social side of the debate. I know so many young women who prefer remaining within the 20 arena, nothing else. Like I said, we will all age, no matter what. So, no need for the extra drama.

      Thanks for your input. Very valid.

      Delete
  4. Good morning my sister,

    Here's my two-cents input on this:
"Time and Tide wait for no man." However if a lady past 25 is still claiming to be 25 or less, that's okay. Men do this as well and it goes for them as well.
    The Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León was searching for the Fountain of Youth when he traveled to what is now Florida in 1513. Did he find it? No! So, while age is “just a number”, it’s worth noting that it’s “all in our minds” and that sooner or later, we will “get over it”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very amazing, brother. Thanks for adding your voice.

      Delete
  5. Does not matter whether or not we are in denier about our age, sooner or later we will not be able to hide it any more. Aging is a fact of life and some day we will get there whether we fake it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister,

    Our ladies did not just wake one morning and started claiming lower age numbers. There are, to me, some unexplained motivating factors. As they say, "to very cause there is a cause" with the caveat that our Creator is The Uncause Cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what do you suspect could be the "cause" in this context?

      Delete
    2. My sister,

      That is a very good question. the answer(s) might venture into the realm of "relativity." A survey should help us with this.

      Delete
    3. Faliku K. Konneh, IIMarch 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM


      Sis. Fatoumata, the cause, in this context, is that everybody wants to remain young, because being "old" has a bad rap...unfortunately. With old age come a lot of ailments. You're no longer able to effectively do the things you once did so well.

      We all look forward to living longer, but no one actually looks forward to getting "old". Personally, I wish I could live to be 125 years old and look the same way I looked when I was in my 20's. Wishful thinking...right?! Yes, but I'm very sincere about that.

      Brother Nvasekie is right. There is nothing anybody can do about aging. It is one of those things Almighty Allah has kept as a secret from mankind. I listened to a renowned scientist few years ago who emphatically stated that scientist are nowhere close to finding the cause of aging; so, if they do not know what causes aging, how can they ever reverse it? Never mind the Botox injections and all the cosmetic surgeries. Those are all superficial attempts that cannot reverse the process of aging.

      As I stated earlier, when we age gracefully, we can be very proud to tell people our real age, because we do appreciate the pretentious disbelief some will express such as, "Get outta here! You ain't that old...you look '16' to me"...lol. But no one likes to hear someone tell them, "I thought you were older than that?!"

      Thanks for this thought-provoking exercise, Sis. Fatoumata, and take care.

      Delete
    4. Of course, no one would appreciate being told this to the face: "….uhh, I thought you were actually older than that" Hahaha… This is what people hope to hear: "…really? I thought you were younger than that. You actually look 16 or 25!"

      Delete
  7. This aging " debate" is really amusing. But the fact is that we have to age so long we want to still be around, and so we should accept the consequences that come along. Like me, I can't do all that I used to do on the soccer pitch years back. That's not witch, that's the practical reality. As you age somethings go away from you.
    Now, I guess the original question was : Why women don't want to be considered older? The answer is simple. Women don't want to forgo one thing that is associated with aging, which is beauty. They worry that by aging they will lose that beauty they are praised and admired for. They want men to always admire them even if they are wealthy, marry and even well position politically. Think about it.
    That was my two cents to this important discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting and right on the dot. "Beauty" is the key word. You just nailed it.

      Delete
    2. Faliku K. Konneh, IIMarch 19, 2014 at 1:52 AM

      You nailed it right on the head, Bangalee Trawally!!! That's the real reason there, my brother. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  8. Eureka! I say eureka! I have discovered the “Fountain of youth”!!
    This “Fountain of Youth” does not call for the intake of any chemical or going on diet or so forth. One does not have to take anything in to benefit from it. Here is the secret:
    Remember the saying that age is just a number? Yes it is! I consulted Mr. Mathematics and was given this secret concoction:
    You can be one-half your current age right now if you switch from base 12, the duodecimal system, to base 24, the quadrivigesimal system.
    There we have it. Everybody can soundly go to sleep now!!

    ReplyDelete