Apr 8, 2013

Nothing to Do With April 12 Demo Plot; Varney Sherman Denies Link with Protesters

Cllr. H. Varney G. Sherman, the national chairman of the ruling Unity Party (UP), has categorically dismissed swelling speculations that he is a mastermind behind a planned protest march slated for this Friday, April 12, through the principal streets of Monrovia. The protest’s planners have taken the UP government to task over bad governance including massive corruption and nepotism, they have claimed.

“I don’t know anybody who’s organizing the April 12 demonstration. I never planned with anybody for such a demonstration. I have never given any support, be it financial, material or whatsoever to anybody to plan any kind of demonstration,” Cllr. Sherman told state-radio ELBC recently.

“In my entire life, except for the days I was in college, I have never been involved in a civil demonstration. Why would I be involved in this? What would be my motivation? To gain what?” he asked rather rhetorically.

The head of the ruling party believes that because he is a public figure---a former presidential candidate in 2005 on the  Liberia Action Party’s ticket, and now, chairman of the ruling Unity Party---people will try to undermine his credibility by linking him to the protest’s planners.

He also considers that his ambition to contest in the 2014 senatorial race for Grand Cape Mount County must be one reason for which people want to “diminish” his statue in the country.

“Some people might be aware of my plans to contest the 2014 senatorial race for Grand Cape Mount County, even though I haven’t publicized it as yet, and want to make it appear as though I am someone who is belligerent; someone who wants to make trouble for the government of Liberia; someone who wants trouble for the people of Liberia. So that’s one way they are trying to accomplish their goal. They think they can diminish my statue in Grand Cape Mount County in politics by doing so. I really don’t know why anybody will want to lie about me like that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment