Mar 21, 2013

‘I Couldn’t Care Any Less’: Kpaan Says about What People Think or Say about Her Recorded Conversations

Kpaan is set to expose the legislators
 Not caring much about how things might turn out over her secret taping of telephone conversations with her former co-worker,  Edward Forh, former Montserrado County superintendent Grace Tee Kpaan remains steadfast (resolute, firm) that her mission was to expose ‘evil deeds.’

She told the Daily Observer Tuesday that she is sure that God Himself will help her in the end, since indeed she was compelled to do what she did to protect her integrity. 

This statement by the former superintendent comes in the wake of ongoing micro-debates in some quarters of the Liberian society that this whole recording thing might somehow haunt Ms. Kpaan in her future endeavors. But the former Superintendent says she really doesn’t mind “because I know I did it for a worthy cause.”

Defending her decision to tape every telephone conversation between her and Forh, Ms. Kpaan narrated that “Forh kept calling me to his office to ask me why was I afraid.  He told me he could put his little generator in his car and anywhere we met, we could do paper work there. I became so afraid because even if you are a rogue, you don’t tell somebody that you can steal. So what would you have done? He told me he knew how to put paper work together and when he got on me in this town, it wouldn’t be easy. He even reminded me of what happened to my predecessor. She was a victim and couldn’t defend herself.  So, I said at least to have something to hold onto, I had to record. If he said hello, I recorded it.”

Edward Forh has since acknowledged the voice on the tape recorded by Kpaan as his and has "regretted" a humiliating recorded telephone conversation he engaged in with former Superintendent Grace Kpaan; but he owes no one an apology, he insisted.

“The stupid-joke telephone talk has embarrassed me, my family, and Capitol Building. Had I known that Grace Kpaan was recording me, I wouldn’t have answered her,” Rep. Forh of the Congress for Democratic Change (CDC) told a local radio interview recently in Monrovia.

Yet, Ms. Kpaan believes that the recording has already accomplished her aim [to expose a societal ill] “and I don’t really care about any future consequences that might possibly result from it. I’m sure God will help me in the process, at the end of the day, because I had to help myself and there was no other way for me to do so.”

Superintendent Kpaan recorded and released to radio stations, the conversation she had with Rep. Forh, while she was under pressure from the House of Representatives for the alleged misuse of US$50,000 from the Montserrado County Development Funds.

Superintendent Kpaan was accused by legislators of misappropriating the US$50,000 from the Montserrado County Development Funds.  But addressing that allegation, Kpaan said “I didn’t take that money on my own. The Minister of Internal Affairs [Blamo Nelson] authorized the disbursement of this money and it was given to the 15 counties.

No comments:

Post a Comment